Ford 'looking forward' to reprising Han Solo

Ford 'looking forward' to reprising Han Solo

Harrison Ford is "looking forward" to returning to 'Star Wars'.

The 70-year-old actor insisted he hasn't signed a contract to reprise his role as Han Solo - who he played in the original trilogy from 1977 to 1983 - in the forthcoming new films in the series, but he is keen to take part and can't wait to get started.

He told WGN 9: "I think it's almost true, I'm looking forward to it. It's not in the bag yet, but I think it's happening."

Harrison's comments came soon after George Lucas - who sold the franchise to Disney last year, but will take on a consultancy role for 'Episode VII' - let slip he has asked original 'Star Wars' trilogy cast members Harrison, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher to reprise their iconic roles.

He revealed: "We had already signed Mark and Carrie and Harrison - or we were pretty much in final stages of negotiation. So I called them to say, 'Look, this is what's going on'.

"Maybe I'm not supposed to say that. I think they want to announce that with some big whoop-de-do, but we were negotiating with them."

However, George appeared to realise he had said too much about his work with producer Kathleen Kennedy to bring new director J.J. Abrams' follow-up film to life for its 2015 release date, and was quick to backtrack.

He teased: "I won't say whether the negotiations were successful or not."

Carrie recently joked she would be back as heroine Princess Leia, the twin sister of main character Luke Skywalker (Hamill), but her representatives subsequently downplayed the claims.

Mark also said he wants to get the "whole gang" of original actors back together for in the new movie.

More in this Section

Larry King seeks divorce from seventh wife after 22 yearsLarry King seeks divorce from seventh wife after 22 years

Big Hit Entertainment announces new development for BTS universeBig Hit Entertainment announces new development for BTS universe

Strictly star confirms he will not have celebrity partner on upcoming seriesStrictly star confirms he will not have celebrity partner on upcoming series

Love Island winner Greg O'Shea will be making his way to Killarney this weekendLove Island winner Greg O'Shea will be making his way to Killarney this weekend


Lifestyle

It’s 100% better than takeout.How to make Jamie Oliver’s veggie pad thai

The Hunger is billed as an opera, but its composer, Donnacha Dennehy, prefers to call it a “docu-cantata”.The Hunger: Appeals to God and for pity in this clash of two linguistic worlds

We take a trip down memory lane and check out what happened on this day in years gone by by looking back at some Irish Examiner front pages and highlighting other events which went down in history across the world.August 21, 2019: A look back at what happened on this day in years gone by

For this year’s sausage survey we focused on a high proportion of meat. It had to be over 65% — a substantial sausage that would barbecue well in summer, but that also could be simmered gently in a tomato sauce for 15 minutes to make a quick meal — this way, sausages don’t have to be grilled/fried first.Summer bangers: The top 8 meaty sausages

More From The Irish Examiner