Elton John is to undergo surgery after being taken ill with appendicitis and has cancelled a series of shows on his current tour.
The veteran musician is undergoing intensive treatment to contain the condition after a series of scans and blood tests by UK medics to identify the source of his ill health.
The star had been due to perform at London's Hyde Park on Friday night, topping a bill which also features Elvis Costello and Ray Davies. Organisers have announced that the show will be a free event following Elton’s withdrawal, and ticket-holders will be refunded.
Elton, 66, called in doctors after he became ill during his European tour. They advised him to cancel all the dates on his current tour.
A statement on behalf of the singer said he had been diagnosed with an “appendix abscess surrounding retrocaecal appendicitis”.
He is expected to undergo surgery in the UK in the next few weeks when doctors are sure they have reduced toxins around the inflamed appendix sufficiently.
The singer’s spokesman said he will not return to touring until fully recovered from the surgery and the damage caused by the abscess.
It is the latest health scare for the chart star.
Last year he cancelled a number of shows as a result of a respiratory infection which struck him during a series of US dates. He also missed concerts due to a bout of food poisoning.
In 1999 he had a pacemaker fitted after doctors found he had an irregular heartbeat.