Claudia Winkleman has opened up for the first time about the night her daughter “went up in flames” in her Halloween costume.
The Strictly Come Dancing presenter has recalled the dramatic accident last year that saw her eight-year-old daughter, Matilda, suffer serious burns when her witch costume brushed against a candle at a house in London.
I'm joining a Watchdog campaign to improve the safety of children's fancy dress costumes. It's on @BBCOne at 8 tonight.— Claudia Winkleman (@ClaudiaWinkle) May 14, 2015
“I was talking to somebody…and then I heard her shout and she was on fire…it feels like she was on fire for hours, but the surgeon said that it definitely wasn’t the case and it was probably just seconds,” she told Watchdog’s Chris Hollins.
“I wish I had been dressed as the witch is mainly all I wish, that it had happened to me….she went up, and I don’t want that to happen to another child”
Matilda has undergone several operations since the accident, but Claudia insisted it's something her family can move on from.
Claudia ended up missing three weeks of Strictly during her first stint as a co-host of the main show alongside Tess Daly.
She was replaced by Zoe Ball.