Charlene McKenna’s family home in Monaghan destroyed in fire

Charlene McKenna has revealed that her family have had a lucky escape from a house fire that destroyed the top floor of their family home in Co. Monaghan.

The Ripper Street actress took to Instagram to thank everyone at Monahan Fire Brigade for battling the blaze in their Glaslough home.

She also thanked her neighbours who stood at all the “points on the country roads” ensuring the emergency service didn’t get lost.

Along with her post, the 34-year-old attached this photo of herself in her old school uniform, which survived the blaze and "still fits".

"When your family home burns down (top floor and everyone is ok) and you're all devastated and all your designer clothes are gone BUT your school uniform miraculously survived," she wrote.

According to the caption on her post, the fire began with an idle phone charger and wall switch, she then went on to plead to her followers to take more care.

“PLEASE turn switches off at the wall (especially idle phone chargers!!!),” she wrote.

“It takes a second and can save lives and homes!”


More in this Section

Ex-Pussycat Dolls bandmate tells Ashley Roberts to ‘crush it’ in Strictly final

Ashley Roberts denies childhood dance classes gives unfair Strictly advantage

Offset begs for forgiveness from estranged wife Cardi B in Instagram video

Best-picture Oscar from 1947 sells for nearly £400,000 at auction


Lifestyle

Lindsay Woods: At a time of year when the pace is frenzied and days are full of school plays and deadlines, the chance to break from routine is a welcome one

On the red carpet: Margot Robbie, Saoirse Ronan, Diane Kruger and Cheryl

Raise a glass to Christmas festivities

The best festive desserts to try out this Christmas

More From The Irish Examiner