In probably the most unexpected beauty icon of 2019, Princess Margaret is getting a lot of love for her voluminous updo.
Well, it’s not technically Margaret, but rather Helena Bonham Carter in character as the royal for series three of the Netflix show The Crown.
Olivia Coleman is amazing (...since Peep Show) and outdoes herself in the Crown BUT the show is stolen by writing+directing+performance of Princess Alice (Jane Lapotaire). She is emotional, funny, and quick-witted.
Also, I want to be Helena Bonham Carter's hair when I grow up.— N.A. Mansour (@NAMansour26) November 18, 2019
The attention to detail in the series is astounding, and Bonham Carter’s hairstyle matches Margaret’s vertiginous coiffure perfectly. The latest series portraying 1964 to 1977, starts when Margaret is in her mid-30s. At this time, she was rarely seen without the armour of her hair: a sleek, solid and voluminous updo.
On some occasions Margaret really went all out with her hair, piling it impossibly high.
With party season fast approaching, you might be searching for a new hairstyle – and what could be more suitable than a royal-inspired updo?
“Bouffants are back,” says Rosie Vincent, stylist from the Michael Van Clarke hair salon bridal team. “It’s a classic chignon with a modern look.” Here’s how you can get the Princess Margaret hairdo yourself, according to Vincent…
1. Apply the 3”’More Inches Volumising Mousse to wet hair and blow-dry into the hair to create volume. Keep the hair line sleek and if there’s a fringe, keep that separate and blow-dry it to the side.
2. Part the hair from the crown to the ears, leaving you with two sections. Create a high ponytail with the back section, then tong small sections of the ponytail into curls.
3. Then with the front part of the hair, tong the hair away from the face to create volume and curl. Split the front part into three sections. Take the top section from temple to temple, backcomb the roots and smooth with a comb or brush, and pin it in place above the ponytail. Repeat with the other two sections, keeping the sides slightly over the ear.
4. Take each curl and create pin curls [small curls you wind with your fingers and secure with pins], placing them on top of each other to make a beautiful voluminous chignon high on top of the head.
5. Finally, mist over a little 3”’More Inches Holding Spray .