Puppy Bandit given life-saving treatment after stealing painkillers

Puppy Bandit given life-saving treatment after stealing painkillers

A puppy called Bandit has lived up to his name with almost fatal consequences after stealing painkillers from his owner’s handbag.

The four-month-old beagle needed life-saving treatment after swallowing the ibuprofen, prompting a pet charity to warn dog owners of the importance of storing medication safely.

The mischievous mutt was saved by vets at the Blackpool PDSA Pet Hospital in England after his owner Jonathan Collinge, 34, caught him chewing the packet of pills.

Bandit with owner Jonathan Collinge and PDSA vet Ioanna Antonopoulou (Julian Brown PDSA/PA)
Bandit with owner Jonathan Collinge and PDSA vet Ioanna Antonopoulou (Julian Brown PDSA/PA)

Mr Collinge, from Blackpool in England, said: “He had managed to jump on to the sofa and have a good rummage through my wife’s handbag, which was hanging on a peg.

“I panicked because I know ibuprofen is poisonous to dogs. I knew that I had to get him to the vets immediately.”

Bandit was given emergency treatment at an out-of-hours private vet practice, before being transferred to the PDSA for further treatment.

PDSA vet Ioanna Antonopoulou said: “At first it was touch-and-go, as, even with the treatment, Bandit wasn’t turning a corner. Thankfully, over two nights, his kidneys stabilised.

“He is a lucky dog, this could have ended so much worse.”

Bandit is now back to his normal self after treatment (Julian Brown PDSA/PA)
Bandit is now back to his normal self after treatment (Julian Brown PDSA/PA)

Mr Collinge said he was “forever grateful” to the vets and would be keeping all medicines locked away in the future.

“It was so upsetting to see him deteriorate but he is now back to his bouncy, crazy self,” he said.

Ms Antonopoulou added: “Dogs, and especially young puppies like Bandit, are naturally curious and like to explore with their mouths, even rooting medications out of coat pockets or handbags.

“Tablets can look quite attractive to them so people should keep tablets in a cupboard somewhere out of reach.”

Dog owners are advised to seek veterinary advice immediately if they suspect their pet has eaten painkillers.

More in this Section

15 of the world’s best nature photos15 of the world’s best nature photos

Swanning about: Watch as Belfast police return runaway birdSwanning about: Watch as Belfast police return runaway bird

British studio says Plague game removed in China as coronavirus spreadsBritish studio says Plague game removed in China as coronavirus spreads

'Don't be a langer. Be kind': Cork poster campaign sparks charity t-shirt range for Pieta House 'Don't be a langer. Be kind': Cork poster campaign sparks charity t-shirt range for Pieta House


Lifestyle

Spring has sprung and a new Munster festival promises to celebrate its arrival with gusto, says Eve Kelliher.Spring has sprung: Munster festival promises to celebrate with gusto

The spotlight will fall on two Munster architects in a new showcase this year.Munster architects poised to build on their strengths

Prepare to fall for leather, whatever the weather, says Annmarie O'Connor.Trend of the week: It's always leather weather

The starting point for Michael West’s new play, in this joint production by Corn Exchange and the Abbey, is an alternative, though highly familiar, 1970s Ireland. You know, elections every few weeks, bad suits, wide ties, and a seedy nexus of politics and property development.Theatre Review: The Fall of the Second Republic at Abbey Theatre, Dublin

More From The Irish Examiner