Vauxhall recall Zafiras for a second time over fire risk

Vauxhall recall Zafiras for a second time over fire risk
File photo of a Vauxhall Zafira on fire.

More than 234,000 Vauxhall Zafiras will be recalled for the second time over a problem that has seen the cars burst into flames.

In Ireland, more than 8,000 Opel Zafira B cars have been recalled.

Owners of the cars, which were originally sold between 2005 and 2014, have been contacted by Opel Ireland about the issue which affects the blower motor resistor and its fuse.

Vauxhall took the decision despite a first recall in December 2015 to correct the issue, which the manufacturer said was caused by improper repairs to the people carrier's blower motor resistor.

Described by the car maker as "preventative action", the latest recall will involve "improving the overall robustness of the system" as opposed to simply replacing the resistor and its fuse, which the firm started doing last year.

In December Vauxhall wrote to all 234,938 Zafira B owners regarding the problem.

It said improper repairs of the blower motor resistor and its thermal fuse, which is designed to protect the blower motor system, could lead to overheating of the system's electrical components and the potential for a fire.

Announcing the new recall on Thursday, a Vauxhall spokesman said: "While the current action achieves the objective of returning vehicles to their original condition, after extensive investigations we have decided to go further and improve the overall robustness of the system.

"We will therefore be initiating a second recall to replace the current soldered fuse resistor with a wax fuse resistor so reducing the opportunity for manipulation.

"When the recalls are complete, all vehicles will have a new wax fuse resistor, a new blower motor and a new moulding at the base of the windscreen to address water ingress."

Both recalls are free for car owners and the company will be writing to customers soon with information.

Letters inviting them into dealerships for the second recall are expected to go out in August.

Drivers who have not yet had the work from the first recall completed should still take their cars to dealerships, Vauxhall said.

More in this Section

Video: Food deliveries using drones to begin in Dublin this monthVideo: Food deliveries using drones to begin in Dublin this month

Public fed up with EU warnings over Brexit delays, says Wetherspoons chiefPublic fed up with EU warnings over Brexit delays, says Wetherspoons chief

Coronavirus: Irish bank shares fall as Italy mulls EU budget requestCoronavirus: Irish bank shares fall as Italy mulls EU budget request

UK-EU trade talks set for choppy waters after fishing rowUK-EU trade talks set for choppy waters after fishing row


Lifestyle

The latest album reviewsReviews: Gil Scott-Heron, Moses Boyd

Exercise helps get the creative juices flowing as well as giving me the headspace to figure out whatever design conundrum may have arisen, interior designer Emma Kelly tells Aileen LeeDesign/Life: Meet interior designer Emma Kelly

More From The Irish Examiner