Food exports surge by 8.6%

Food exports surge by 8.6%

Irish Food and drinks exports have performed strongly in the first half of 2013.

The Irish Farmers Journal is reporting that the value of food and drink leaving the country in the January to June period is 8.6% higher than the same period last year.

Bord Bia, who released the figures, said that Ireland remains on track to exceed last year’s record-breaking €9bn total for the full year.

Ironically, given the horse meat crisis earlier in the year, higher beef volumes (+10%) and values (+5%) combined to deliver beef exports 15% higher at €1,090m.

Dairy also had a good first half, with export value up 4% to €1,345m despite lower milk volumes in the poor spring.

Other strong performing categories were prepared foods (+15%), pigmeat (+9%) and beverages (+4%).

Bord Bia Chief Executive Aidan Cotter described the export figures as “particularly impressive at a time when overall exports have fallen by some 6%”.

More in this Section

Ryanair says Irish pilots have accepted paycuts Ryanair says Irish pilots have accepted paycuts

Businesses in Ireland urged to 'refocus' on BrexitBusinesses in Ireland urged to 'refocus' on Brexit

ESRI: Covid-19 cut in emissions to be 'shortlived'ESRI: Covid-19 cut in emissions to be 'shortlived'

Irish-backed UK pub group warns of uncertain customer demand ahead of reopeningIrish-backed UK pub group warns of uncertain customer demand ahead of reopening


Lifestyle

Des O'Sullivan previews the diverse items that will spark interest among collectorsAntiques: From a sword to crystal chandeliers and a dictionary

Kya deLongchamps strikes up the band for some lesser copied American mid-centuryIt's July 4 so let's strike up the band for American designs

Blessed are the cheesemakers! Let’s all do our bit to support small Irish producers, many of whom are still experiencing real hardship.Darina Allen: Why we need to support the small Irish producers in our cheese industry

Courgettes are part of the squash and marrow family, they are available all year round but are particularly good in the summer. When buying courgette, look for smaller, younger ones as these will have the best flavour. Currabinny Cooks: From simple salad to quick loafs, here's how you should cook courgettes

More From The Irish Examiner