Chinese buyers agree €150m Goodbody takeover

Chinese buyers agree €150m Goodbody takeover
Goodbody is understood to have been in advanced talks over itsfuture ownership since the start of the year.

By Geoff Percival

The estimated €150m takeover of the country’s second largest stockbroking firm, Goodbody, by a consortium of Chinese strategic investors, has been confirmed.

Goodbody, the longest-established stockbroking firm in the State, is understood to have been in advanced talks over its future ownership since the start of the year. Its takeover, which requires regulatory approval, is expected to close by the end of the year with the Chinese consortium taking 100% ownership.

Goodbody is currently 51% owned by Kerry-based financial services group Fexco, with staff and management controlling the remaining 49%. The firm will continue to be regulated by the Central Bank, will retain its brand and staff, will continue to be headquartered in Dublin, and will remain run by managing director Roy Barrett and his current senior management team.

State-backed Chinese investment holdings company Zhongze Group heads up the buying consortium; supported by privately owned investor Pioneer Century and Zhongze’s financial advisor JIC Trust, an asset-management company wholly owned by China’s sovereign wealth fund CIC.

Goodbody’s purchase follows Cantor Fitzgerald’s recent purchase of Merrion Capital and Euronext’s purchase of the Irish Stock Exchange, from which Goodbody and its four co-owning brokers shared in the windfall.

Goodbody’s new owners will use the firm as a platform from which to expand internationally, they said.

More in this Section

Huawei chief confident over future despite US export curbsHuawei chief confident over future despite US export curbs

Bets rise euro to weaken on ECB easy moneyBets rise euro to weaken on ECB easy money

Hotel group’s profits soar 44% to €8mHotel group’s profits soar 44% to €8m

US puts graphic warnings on cigarettes after court battleUS puts graphic warnings on cigarettes after court battle


Lifestyle

Timothy Grady is in Bantry this week to host a concert, and read from his classic book about the Irish in London, writes Don O'Mahony.Giving voice to the emigrant experience

A care home builds links with kids, writes Helen O’Callaghan.Inside out: Children learn what it's like to live with dementia.

When you think of someone who is “into skincare”, you probably imagine someone in a face mask.The Skin Nerd: Why face masks aren’t as important as you’d think

With the evenings closing in and a welcome chill in the air, it’s time to embrace the new season now.Make the Transition: Turn over a new leaf this fall

More From The Irish Examiner