A plane was forced to land when a passenger had an extreme allergic reaction to a leaking jar of mushroom soup, it was revealed today.
The soup fell on the man from an overhead locker on a Ryanair flight to Dublin from Budapest.
He reportedly suffered allergic swelling in his neck and struggled to breathe, forcing staff to seek emergency medical treatment.
The bizarre incident happened on Monday, the same day as another Ryanair flight had to make an emergency landing in Limoges after suffering a sudden loss of cabin pressure.
And in a week of mid-air incidents, a Thomsonfly plane full of holidaymakers flying to Gatwick had to return to Croatia after a fire broke out in an oven only moments after take-off.
Ryanair said the jar contained a “vegetable oil/mushroom soup type substance”.
A spokeswoman said: “It is procedure when a passenger requires medical attention to divert to the nearest airport. The cabin crew and pilot take that decision.”
The Boeing 737 diverted to Frankfurt Hahn airport in Germany where doctors could treat the man.
The plane was delayed for two hours before continuing its journey.
On the same day passengers feared for their lives as another Ryanair flight, going from Bristol to Spain, suffered a sudden drop in cabin pressure forcing the pilot to drop to 8,000 feet.
It landed safely at Limoges where sixteen passengers received medical treatment.
The Thomsonfly plane took off from Pula airport in Croatia yesterday and had to return after the fire broke out in a galley oven used to heat in-flight meals.
The plane was forced to turn around almost immediately after take off and was only in the air for seven minutes.
A spokesman said the fire was “immediately contained” and there was “no danger to passengers or crew”.
A replacement plane was flown from Manchester and the passengers delayed for eight hours.