You are viewing the content for Monday 26 August 2013

Ballygunner easily master Passage and set up clash with DLS

In a fascinating climax to the group stages of the Waterford SHC, three-time winners Lismore and 2012 runners-up Dungarvan were the major casualties as Tallow, Ballygunner and Abbeyside all pressed on to the quarter-finals.

It also sets up a couple of spicy pairings next month including the eagerly awaited meeting of De La Salle and Ballygunner.

In Group 2, the Gunners took care of business last night at Walsh Park with a comfortable 2-17 to 1-9 success over Passage. Brian O’Sullivan’s third-minute blast established early supremacy and despite the best efforts of Killian Fitzgerald and Owen Connors, Ballygunner held a 1-7 to 0-6 half-time cushion. Passage were hindered by the loss of Eoin Kelly to injury at the break and their opponents kicked on. JJ Hutchinson cracked home a second goal to see Andy Moloney’s men home. Sean Hogan tucked away a consolation for Passage.

Mount Sion grabbed top spot in the table with a seven- point victory against Roanmore at the Kill grounds (0-17 to 0-10).

In Group 1, Lismore exited the championship on Saturday night despite dishing out a 25-point walloping to An Rinn.

Lismore had needed Tallow to slip up against De La Salle but their nextdoor neighbours claimed a 2-10 to 0-13 win at Fraher Field. County champions DLS were depleted due to the absence of All Stars John Mullane and Kevin Moran along with Waterford minor Adam Farrell.

The Bridesiders took full advantage. They did the heavy lifting in the first half with a pair of goals from the stick of Thomas Ryan. He fired his first in the sixth minute and Shane Feeney supplied his second on 17 minutes. Shaun O’Sullivan’s super penalty save from Jake Dillon was sandwiched in between and that preserved their two-goal advantage until half-time (2-5 to 0-5). Although De La Salle inched their way back, the experience of Mark O’Brien and James Murray in defence along with a seven-point showing from Paul Kearney chiselled out a three-point win. Lismore kept up their end of the bargain with a merciless 7-23 to 0-19 mauling of An Rinn in Clashmore.

A double from Dan Shanahan and a Chris O’Gorman strike allowed them to cruise 3-14 to 0-9 clear by the interval. Further green flags followed courtesy of Paudie Prendergast, John Heneghan, David Howard and Jordan Shanahan but their efforts proved in vain. Fourmilewater sealed second spot as they came good after the break to prevail 1-21 to 1-9 against a weakened Ballyduff Upper. The sides were tied at 0-8 to 1-5 at half-time with Kevin Casey netting for the Reds.

Fourmile’ strode out with greater purpose at the start of the second period and a burst of 1-5 without reply in the opening 10 minutes, including a Jamie Barron goal, clinched the contest.

Waterford SHC quarter-finals: De La Salle v Ballygunner; Fourmilewater v Abbeyside; Mount Sion v Tallow; Passage v Ballyduff Upper

Relegation play-off: An Rinn v Roanmore

* Games to be played September 14/15.