You are viewing the content for Monday 22 January 2007

Tipp give tame students a lesson

Tipperary 2-18 Waterford IT 0-5
Top-class displays by centre-back Shane Maher and centre-forward Eoin Kelly provided the platform for Tipperary’s runaway victory over Waterford IT in the quarter-final of the Waterford Crystal Cup at Nenagh yesterday.

Maher magnificently barred Waterford’s path while Kelly, who scored eight points — four from frees — again exhibited his exciting range of skills.

Maher opened the scoring with a point in the first minute with a long range effort aided by a stiff wind.

After that Tipp went up a gear and the Waterford students had no response.

With Lar Corbett flying on the left wing, Tony Scroope making his presence felt on the right flank of attack and Kelly pulling the strings up front, Tipp raced six points clear before Daniel Hoctor got Waterford’s first score in the 12th minute.

But Tipp’s response was immediate and they quickly increased their lead to seven points. Then at the end of the first quarter, they were denied a goal when the Waterford goalkeeper, Damien Young, brilliantly saved a bullet-like drive from Corbett.

But there was no stopping Tipp and they finally found the net five minutes from half-time when a free from Eoin Kelly was flicked home by his brother Paul, who also had an excellent game.

Tipp led by 1-10 to 0-1 at the interval and their superiority was highlighted by the fact goalkeeper Brendan Cummins was forced into making only one save in the half, blocking Cathal Parlon’s shot a minute from half time.

Waterford squandered a golden opportunity seconds after the resumption when wing-forward Parlon failed to capitalise with the goal at his mercy.

Tipp stormed back with four points without reply from Pa Bourke, the Kelly brothers and Lar Corbett before Waterford centre-back John Dalton pointed a 65 in the 43rd minute.

Dalton added another from a free two minutes later, but with the Tipperary full-back line of Eamon

Buckley, Philip Maher and Ian

Delaney in control and Shane Maher impeccable in defence, there was no hope of a Waterford fightback.

Trailing 1-15 to 0-3 entering the last quarter, they suffered another hammer blow when sub Eoin Shinnors doubled a Michael Webster cross to the net.

Mark Gorman, from a free, and Liam Lawlor did get two late consolation points but Tipp had the final say with three points in succession from Paul Kelly, Webster and Bourke.

Scorers: Tipperary: P. Kelly 1-2, E. Shinnors 1-0, E. Kelly 0-8 (0-4f), L. Corbett 0-2, P. Bourke 0-2, T. Scroope 0-1, S. Maher, M. Webster 0-1 each.

Waterford: J. Dalton 0-2 (0-1 f, 0-1 65), L. Lawlor, D. Hoctor, M. Gorman (f) 0-1 each.

TIPPERARY; B. Cummins, E. Buckley, P. Maher, I. Delaney, V. Doheny, S. Maher, S. Lillis, J. Woodlock, C. Morrisey, T. Scroope, E. Kelly, L. Corbett, P. Kelly, D. O’Hanlon, P. Bourke.

Subs. E. Shinnors for Morrisey (inj), M. Webster for O’Hanlon.

WATERFORD: D. Young, C. O’Brien, PJ Delaney, K. Lannigan, K. Brady, J. Dalton, H. Maloney, D. Hoctor, P. Hartley, D. Lucy, K. Moran, C. Parlon, M. Gorman, L. Lawlor, R. McLoughney.

Subs: J. O’Farrell for Lucy, C. Gahan for Moran, A. Kirwan for McLoughney.

Referee: C. McAllister (Cork).