You are viewing the content for Wednesday 8 February 2006

Forget Scotland flop and focus on Irish, urges Pelous

By Katie Fry
FRANCE captain Fabien Pelous yesterday hit out at his teammates for their days of soul-searching in the wake of last weekend’s Six Nations defeat to Scotland.

Widely lauded as favourites for the Six Nations title, the France team gave an error-ridden display in Murrayfield to allow a revitalised Scotland to a 20-16 home win.

But veteran Pelous hit out at his teammates, who he insists would be better served to focus now on their next game against Ireland on Saturday.

"It’s a bit annoying to brood over things," said the 103-times capped player, who warned of a backlash against the Irish.

"We lost a rugby match but there’s another coming up. And that one we’re going to win because we’re going to give ourselves the means to do it.

"It’s not the end of the world. If it were we might as well stop here. We have to leave behind a narrow minded view of things and look forward to the next match."

But coach Bernard Laporte now rates his team’s chance of winning the tournament only as 50-50 and faces a tough task to turn around his fumbling squad before Saturday’s home game.

"It’s difficult to forget," conceded flanker Remy Martin.

"The defeat is still on all our minds and we know we have to forget this and focus on the Ireland match.

"But it’s more complicated than usual. We’re analysing things more, we’ve spent the last three days dissecting it. And each time we want to move on to something else the video catches up with us."

Biarritz scrum-half Dimitri Yachvili agreed it had been hard to swallow. "Usually I move from one match to another. When we’ve finished analysing the previous Saturday’s match we plunge straight into the next game."

Centre Ludovic Valbon was more scathing about his own performance. "I saw in the video that I was rubbish. I’ve taken it in and now it’s time to move on," he said.

France have boosted their squad to 29 ahead of the Ireland game with second row Pascal Pape being called in despite a recurring back problem.

"I’m really happy that I have been called up. It shows that they still count on me," said Pape.

Team manager Jo Maso has stressed the importance of looking ahead to the World Cup as his side struggles to come to terms with the shock defeat.

"We are working for the France v Ireland match obviously but the reason why we called up more players than planned is because of the prospect of having an enlarged squad for the World Cup," he said.

 

Forget Scotland flop and focus on Irish, urges Pelous

By Katie Fry
FRANCE captain Fabien Pelous yesterday hit out at his teammates for their days of soul-searching in the wake of last weekend’s Six Nations defeat to Scotland.

Widely lauded as favourites for the Six Nations title, the France team gave an error-ridden display in Murrayfield to allow a revitalised Scotland to a 20-16 home win.

But veteran Pelous hit out at his teammates, who he insists would be better served to focus now on their next game against Ireland on Saturday.

"It’s a bit annoying to brood over things," said the 103-times capped player, who warned of a backlash against the Irish.

"We lost a rugby match but there’s another coming up. And that one we’re going to win because we’re going to give ourselves the means to do it.

"It’s not the end of the world. If it were we might as well stop here. We have to leave behind a narrow minded view of things and look forward to the next match."

But coach Bernard Laporte now rates his team’s chance of winning the tournament only as 50-50 and faces a tough task to turn around his fumbling squad before Saturday’s home game.

"It’s difficult to forget," conceded flanker Remy Martin.

"The defeat is still on all our minds and we know we have to forget this and focus on the Ireland match.

"But it’s more complicated than usual. We’re analysing things more, we’ve spent the last three days dissecting it. And each time we want to move on to something else the video catches up with us."

Biarritz scrum-half Dimitri Yachvili agreed it had been hard to swallow. "Usually I move from one match to another. When we’ve finished analysing the previous Saturday’s match we plunge straight into the next game."

Centre Ludovic Valbon was more scathing about his own performance. "I saw in the video that I was rubbish. I’ve taken it in and now it’s time to move on," he said.

France have boosted their squad to 29 ahead of the Ireland game with second row Pascal Pape being called in despite a recurring back problem.

"I’m really happy that I have been called up. It shows that they still count on me," said Pape.

Team manager Jo Maso has stressed the importance of looking ahead to the World Cup as his side struggles to come to terms with the shock defeat.

"We are working for the France v Ireland match obviously but the reason why we called up more players than planned is because of the prospect of having an enlarged squad for the World Cup," he said.