You are viewing the content for Thursday 2 February 2006

McDonagh magic helps Macroom snatch dramatic win

Gaelic football

DLS Macroom 0-12 Dingle CBS 1-8
By Brendan Mooney
A DRAMATIC second-half rally saw De La Salle Macroom beat Dingle CBS in a thrilling Corn Uí Mhuirí quarter final at Fitzgerald Stadium, Killarney, yesterday.

They now look forward to a semi-final meeting with St Fachtna’s of Skibbereen.

Macroom were five points behind, 1-4 to 0-2, after 22 minutes and Dingle CBS looked to be coasting - their goal an excellent finish to a piercing movement nine minutes into the game. Tomas MacGearalt started it, with a long run out of defence, passed to his An Gaeltacht clubmate Ricki Aghas. He nipped inside to present corner-forward Tadhg Ó Gobhain with a golden opportunity, ably finished to the net.

Macroom, in disarray, edged back through corner forward John Ryan’s well-taken point. But they would have to wait another five minutes for their second score and were spared more heartbreak by goalkeeper, Stephen Casey, producing a brilliant save from Micheal Ó Sé.

Dingle were rampant. Centre-back Aghas launched some scorching runs, Donal Ó Riain dominated midfield and, up front, Tomas MacGearailt, Seamus Ó Sé, Seamus Ó Cofaigh and Eoin MacGearalit were threatening to run riot.

Points from Ó Cofaigh, Sean Ó Foghlu and MacGearailt had them leading 1-4 to 0-2 after 22 minutes. But five minutes from half time Macroom began the recovery. Rory Buckley drove a series of attacks from right-half back while James Ambrose had come to grips with midfield, where Cork minor David Gould, was dropping back to provide cover. Gould scored a superb long range point. When Donal O’Sullivan added a free, they trailed at half time by just three, 1-4 to 0-4.

Dingle came out with all guns blazing and in the second minute saw Sean Ó Foghlu fist a ball off the Macroom crossbar.

There was more drama at the other end when Matthew McDonagh got the ball to wing forward John Ryan who pointed, and suddenly just two points separated the sides.

Now Macroom were in control, with Rory Buckley, Donal Cotter, midfielders James Ambrose and Matthew McDonagh, on top and Donal O’Sullivan, Sean Kiely and the full-forward line of David Gould, John Ryan and Paul Healy enjoying an abundance of possession.

O’Sullivan cut the deficit to a point with a well-taken free. Then Healy rounded his man, flicked the ball across to Matthew McDonagh to provide the equaliser.

Tomas MacGearailt stemmed the flow in the 17th minute with an equalising point and Dingle might have had another goal but for another great save from Stephen Casey, who again denied Eoin MacGearailt. McDonagh then drove over his second point to give Macroom the lead.

Again MacGearailt equalised as Dingle rallied, and he reclaimed the lead from a free. But it was short-lived as Gould equalised again from a free at the other end and then provided the pass for Paul Healy to restore the lead. Rory Buckley provided the ammunition for McDonagh’s third point that set up the dramatic finish.

Another point from a MacGearailt free saw just one point between the sides into injury time but Dingle’s last chance, a ‘45 by keeper Tomas Mac a tSaoir, floated wide.

Scorers: DLS Macroom: M. McDonagh 0-3, D. O’Sullivan (0-2 frees), S. Kiely 0-2, D. Gould 0-2 (0-1 free) and J. Ryan 0-2 and P. Healy 0-1. Dingle CBS: T. MacGearailt 0-5 (0-4 frees), T. O Gobhain 1-0 and D. O Riain (free), S. O Cofaigh and S. O Foghlu 0-1 each.

DLS MACROOM: S. Casey; J. Corkery, P. Lynch, J. J. Murphy; I. Casey, D. Cotter, R. Buckley; J. Ambrose, M. McDonagh; D. O’Sullivan, S. Kiely, P. Lynch; P. Healy, D. Gould, J. Ryan. Sub: J. O’Leary for D. O’Sullivan.

DINGLE CBS: T. Mac a tSaoir; N. Ó Flaharta, D. Ó Sé, C. Ó Muircheartaigh; S. Ó Scanlain, R. Aghas, T. Ó Brosnachain; D. O Riain, E. Ó Murchu; S. Ó Foghlu, T. MacGearailt, M. Ó Sé; S. Ó Cofaigh, E. Mac Gearailt, T. Ó Gobhain. Subs: D. Baroid for T. Ó Gobhain and D. Ó Suilleabhain for S. Ó Scanlain.

Referee: Brian White (Tipperary).