- Homes go dark as gangs steal live cables
Gangs of thieves hunting for lucrative copper wiring are causing power outages by stealing the metal from live electricity cables.
- 30 schools refused to give teen a place
The Department of Education has been criticised by Children's Ombudsman Emily Logan over enrolment appeals and home tuition after a teenager missed nearly two years of full-time education when up to 30 schools refused him a place.
- India-Pakistan nuclear war could kill 2bn
A nuclear war between India and Pakistan would set off a global famine that could kill two billion people and effectively end human civilisation, a study said.
- Britain’s first gay marriages to take place in March
The first gay marriages in England and Wales can be held from Mar 29 next year, Britain's equalities minister Maria Miller announced last night.
- UK ‘not committed’ to Irish energy
UK demand for Irish renewable energy is not as strong as plans to build hundreds of windfarms across Ireland would suggest.
- Tech firm set to expand R&D centre
International dataflow company Axway is to create 15 jobs in Dublin as it expands its research and development facilities.
- O’Mahony thrilled by Murray re-signing
Munster captains past and present last night warmly welcomed the news that Conor Murray has committed his future to the province until the summer of 2016.
- Cutting edge Blades still looking good long after U2 rivalry
SINGER PAUL CLEARY doesn't have butterflies — yet. But he will. "I'm not a confident performer," say Cleary, frontman of iconic Dublin post-punk trio, The Blades. "The 20 minutes before I go on are particularly nerve-wracking. You can't function properly. You are sitting in the dressing room, not talking. You just want to get out there, on stage."
- No standing still for Firkin Crane's dancer in residence Laura Murphy
Supported by the Arts Council, Cork City Council, and the Firkin Crane, Laura Murphy is Cork's Dancer in Residence at Firkin Crane for 2013/2014. Originally from Kinsale, this highly-qualified dance artist, performer and choreographer is bubbling over with ideas.