TERMINALLY ill patients are being put on waiting lists for vital end-of-life care as a result of the State’s long-term failure to adequately invest in hospice services.
Figures released to the Irish Examiner show that on a single day last week, more than 130 people facing imminent death were told it could be weeks before they would be able to access a hospice due to a lack of resources.
The figures, released by the Irish Hospice Foundation (IHF) ahead if its national fundraising day tomorrow, show on April 27 a total of 133 patients suffering from terminal cancer, renal and respiratory illnesses were told they could not immediately access the pain relief service.
In the country’s three main facilities (the Dublin- based Harold’s Cross, Blackrock and St Francis services), 42 terminally ill patients had to be refused in-patient, home care and day care for an average of five days.
In Marymount Hospice in Cork, 53 people were awaiting their first home care visit and eight were unable to access in-patient beds.
Similar concerns were also raised in the north- east, south-east and midlands, described in a 2001 Department of Health report as “blackspots” for the specialty.
IHF chief executive Eugene Murray said while a day-by-day record of terminally ill patients was not normally kept, “there is no doubt” that terminally ill patients are unable to access vital end-of-life care.
“There’s no doubt about it, demand does outstrip the supply... Services just aren’t there in large parts of the country. People are coming from Waterford to Cork because they have family there and it’s the only way they can access hospice care,” he said.
A HSE spokesperson said that the 2009-2013 €308 million plan was drawn up, but it will only be able to act when specific regional resources are available.
Mr Murray is concerned that funding will not be made available. “No I don’t think it will all be implemented. All we have is a report on a piece of paper at the moment.”
© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved