President delaying response to Orange Order parade invite

President Michael D Higgins is holding back from an immediate response to a public invitation to attend the only Orange Order parade in the Republic next year.

Grand Master of the Orange Lodge of Ireland Edward Stevenson issued the invitation at Saturday’s march in Rossnowlagh, Donegal. The President is a awaiting a formal invitation before he publicly reveals his response.

A spokesperson for the President said: “There is a formal process for invitations to the Áras. When invitations are received they are dealt with.”

Mr Stevenson said the order was prompted by the “momentous State visit” by Queen Elizabeth to the Republic in 2011.

He told nearly 7,000 Orange Order followers at a rally in the sand-dunes of Rossnowlagh: “Such gestures of reconciliation were hugely symbolic and carried out by Her Majesty with great decorum and respect.”

Relations between the leaders of the Stormont Executive deteriorated sharply after the Parades Commission banned a controversial Orange march in the Ardoyne area of Belfast next Saturday.

The banning of the same march last year led to several days of serious loyalist rioting.

In Rossnowlagh gardaí reported no trouble as Union jacks fluttered and more than 30 bands joined the 50 lodges from southern border counties as well as Northern Ireland.

Orangemen have paraded in Co Donegal since the early 1900s.


© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved

Email Updates

Receive our lunchtime briefing straight to your inbox

More in this Section

WATCH: Farming survey: Farmers oppose any Donald Trump visit to Ireland

Farming survey: Splashing the cash as the rural recovery takes hold

The party’s over: Cork to ban balloon launches

Gardaí and supervisors at odds on breath test scandal


Breaking Stories

Skeletal remains found washed up on Co Clare shore

Witness heard child scream on night father and 3-year-old son drowned in Dublin tragedy

Man dies after farm accident in Wexford; elderly man airlifted to hospital

Hundreds 'stand strong' alongside threatened probation officers in Belfast

Lifestyle

Decoding craftsmanship at Cork event

Cork a Safe Harbour for a superb festival

Made in Cork: Tom Vaughan-Lawlor talks playing IRA man in Maze film

Making Cents: Getting your home to pay for your next holiday

More From The Irish Examiner