Non-urgent surgeries cancelled as CUH battles with overcrowding

Cork University Hospital has cancelled all non-urgent elective surgeries scheduled for today blaming pressure in its emergency department.

Last night speaking from the hospital, Denis Farrelly from Cork told how the cancellation of his daughter Joanne’s surgery was the fourth time since July her procedure had been called off. He said it was a very serious operation and to only be told by her doctor at 7pm it was being cancelled yet again had been very distressing for his daughter not least as she had had to be admitted four time since July for emergency blood transfusions.

The HSE said CUH had been exceptionally busy in recent weeks, in particular from January 11-19 when 1,735 patients presented to the emergency department for review and treatment of which 892 patients required inpatient admission.

Apologising for delays in the ED, it said the increase in attendance was due to the “large number of very ill medical patients requiring admission and the recent weather conditions which resulted in a large number of patients presenting with injuries sustained as a result of a fall”.

“It is also noted there is an increased prevalence of patients presenting with respiratory/flu-like symptoms.”

The HSE said as part of the hospital’s escalation process to respond to pressure in the ED and the hospital as a whole, hospital management took the decision to postpone all non-urgent elective procedures for today.

“This decision has been taken in the interest of patient care and with the aim of reducing pressure on the hospital as a whole,” it said. “Patients affected by this rescheduling have been contacted, the hospital wishes to apologise for any inconvenience caused, and to assure patients that appointments will be rescheduled as soon as possible.”

© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved

Email Updates

Receive our lunchtime briefing straight to your inbox

More in this Section

€20,000 one-parent claim while married

People responsible for Grace ‘must be named’, says TD

Irishman’s account of man-eating lions, ‘the Ghost’ and ‘the Darkness’, in Africa

Stalled flood relief work to resume as issues resolved


Breaking Stories

Gardaí launch murder inquiry after woman's death in Waterford

Fianna Fáil extends lead over Fine Gael in latest opinion poll

'I'll be talking to my party soon': Enda Kenny deflects leadership question after EU summit

US-bound flight turns back to Dublin as doctor assists in medical emergency

Lifestyle

Design/life: Leonie Cornelius, garden designer and interior architect

The loss of the world’s bee population would have catastrophic consequences

Live music review: The Swingles, Cork City Hall

Product watch: Must have beauty buys for May

More From The Irish Examiner