Homeless couple lose bid for return of child

A homeless couple have lost a High Court bid to have the custody of their prematurely-born baby returned to them after he has received medical treatment and is discharged from hospital.

Colman Fitzgerald, counsel for the baby’s parents, told Mr Justice Michael Peart it was not the couple’s intention to bring up their child “in some doorway”.

Mr Fitzgerald, who appeared with Máiréad Carey, said the couple had arranged for them and the baby to move in with the child’s grandparents.

Timothy O’Leary, counsel for the HSE, which obtained a temporary care order for the child from the District Court following the baby’s premature birth on Oct 3, told the court the boy had been receiving vital, ongoing hospital care.

He said it was most likely the baby would be transferred to a specialist children’s hospital today where he was scheduled to undergo surgery for a double inguinal hernia.

Mr O’Leary, who appeared with Sarah McKechnie, said the baby had been undergoing specialist hospital care since its birth. During that time, the couple had been living in a residential unit attached to the hospital where the baby was receiving treatment.

He said the baby, who cannot by law be identified, would likely require ongoing specialist hospital care well after Jan 13 when the interim care order was due to expire. An extension to the order would be sought.

Mr Fitzgerald said the child’s parents were seeking a habeas corpus order under Article 40 of the Constitution returning care of the child to them following its discharge from hospital so they could take care of the boy themselves in its grandparents’ Dublin home.

He said an application for a full care order by the HSE was due to be heard by the court from Jan 27. Once discharged from hospital, it was the HSE’s intention to place the baby with foster parents for a period of up to six months, and the parents wished to avoid a break in bonding with their baby.

The court heard that during protracted District Court proceedings relating to the application for the temporary care order, the parents had continued living in the hospital unit, close to, and often visiting and nursing, their baby.

Mr O’Leary said an Article 40 application regarding a child that was the subject of a lawfully obtained care order was totally inappropriate. The parents could have appealed the interim order to the circuit court, or could have brought a judicial review challenge to the High Court and had not done so.

Mr Justice Peart, who gave an emergency, weekend judgment, said the child was being treated for neonatal, chronic lung disease and had bilateral inguinal hernias requiring surgical repair under anaesthesia once he was stable and off oxygen. Even following discharge, the boy would require very significant and high-quality parental aftercare.

Refusing the Article 40 application, he said there had been sufficient evidence for the district court judge to have granted the interim order. The child required care or protection he was unlikely to receive unless the court had made that order.

© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved

More in this Section

Abuse victim stands over allegations against ex-garda

Firefighter made hoax calls to feel ‘sense of excitement’

Three development packages worth €30m hit the Cork market

Boyfriend told woman lick beans off floor


You might also like

Breaking Stories

IFA conference looks at minimising the threat of global milk price volatility

Mother calls for greater accountability among medical staff after inquest into baby's death

Government reverses cuts for firefighter recruits

Jury retires to consider verdict in David Mahon's murder trial

Lifestyle

The host with the most...Graham Norton has a busy schedule with the Baftas and Eurovision on his cards

Nicci Taylor is looking for life and love on the road

Should couples ask for cash as a wedding present?

Make sure your dream home doesn't become a nightmare

More From The Irish Examiner