Cork Opera House evacuated and concert cancelled after bomb hoax

Cork Opera House had to be evacuated and a concert cancelled last night after a bomb hoax.

Garda tape cordons off the Opera House. Pic: Dave Molloy

Gardaí at Anglesea Street Garda Station in the city received a call at 6.13pm claiming that a bomb had been left in the concert venue.

Management at the Opera House were immediately informed and the small number of people who were in the building at the time were quickly evacuated.

By 6.30pm gardaí accompanied by sniffer dogs had sealed off the area and began a full sweep of the building. For more than two hours they searched every corner of the venue on Emmet Place.

A Garda spokesman said the bomb squad was not called as no suspect device was located and the search was called off at about 8.45pm.

He said that, upon receipt of the call, officers had immediately followed procedure, placing public safety at the forefront of their thoughts.

“We had to take the threat seriously and conduct a thorough search of the building,” said the spokesman.

He also said gardaí would be carrying out a full investigation into the source of the call which resulted in serious disruption to the theatre and a waste of Garda time and resources.

Meanwhile, Cork Opera House was forced to take the decision to cancel the concert by 2ManyDJs which was due to begin at 10pm.

Just after 8pm, a message appeared on the venue’s Twitter account which read: “Due to unforeseen circumstances beyond our control 2ManyDJs is cancelled tonight. We hope to re-schedule, keep an eye on twitter for more info.”

Up to 800 people had been expected to attend the concert.


More in this Section

Questions still need to be answered in Maurice McCabe email controversy

Mixed reaction to State’s €30m loan to An Post

Nursing initiative to boost services

Golden rules for online shopping safety


Breaking Stories

Jail for man who took part in robbery where victim was bound and stabbed with screwdriver

American doctor found not guilty of sexually assaulting Cork patient

Former army private who attacked woman with broken glass bottle jailed for five years

184 people sleep rough in Dublin on November 7 - highest number since records began

Lifestyle

Toy story: 10 toys guaranteed to bring out the kid in all of us

GameTech: Star Wars Battlefront II: Chance to win Loot Skywalker

Military top brass: Meet the conductor of the army’s Southern Brigade band

Album review: Experience counts on U2’s return to form

More From The Irish Examiner