€5.2m for man severely shocked at work

A 24-year-old man who suffered devastating injuries after he was severely electrically shocked as he worked on a building site, has settled his High Court action for €5.2m damages.

Nicholas Crabbe has been left brain damaged, is in a wheelchair, and has difficulty speaking after the incident at the IDA industrial park outside Dundalk, Co Louth, over five years ago.

Mr Crabbe, of Ventry Rd, Cabra, had, through his mother Pauline, sued his employers AI Read Electrical Company Ltd, Lorcan Grove, Santry; Hydro Excavation (Ireland) Ltd, Castle Buildings, Damastown, Mulhuddart; and the main contractors, Kilwex Ltd, Pacelli House, Pacelli Rd, Naas, Co Kildare.

It was claimed that Mr Crabbe’s employers had a duty to provide him with a safe place of work.

Kilwex, it was claimed, was obliged to ensure the site was safe and without risk of injury. Liability was admitted in the case.

Mr Crabbe was carrying out the installation of steel lamp poles into sockets along the road at the business park on Jan 14, 2008. His colleague was driving the lorry and operating the crane.

A steel lamp pole while suspended from the crane and being manoeuvred in to place in to the ground socket, came in to contact with a live overhead line.

Senior Counsel Turlough O’Donnell said the cable had not been disconnected and Mr Crabbe was very severely electrocuted.

He later suffered two heart attacks, which caused a deprivation of oxygen to the brain.

© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved

Irish Examiner live news app for smartphones lets you quickly access breaking news, sport, business, entertainment and weather. appstoregoogle play
Irish Examiner ePaper app gives you the entire newspaper delivered to your phone or tablet for as little as 55c a day. epaper
Home

More From The Irish Examiner