Photo of 'dangerous' Primark Christmas candle goes viral

A picture of a Primark Christmas candle burning up into a large flame has gone viral after a mother posted it on Facebook to raise awareness of the danger.

Jenny Ferneyhough bought the £5 candle in England on Saturday and posted a picture of it fully alight.

Her post has been shared 170,000 times.

Primark said it was removing the product from sale and investigating the matter.

A spokesman said: "We take the safety of our customers and quality of our products very seriously.

"We are removing the product from sale while we investigate this complaint as a matter of urgency."

Mrs Ferneyhough wrote on Facebook: "This is a candle I bought in Primark Manchester for £5 on Saturday. I am concerned that it poses a risk to the safety of anyone who owns one, and I have emailed Primark suggesting they recall them.

"In the meantime, I would be grateful if we could spread the word so that no one is put at risk by this."


If you cannot see the Facebook post above, click here.

She said: "It was burning normally for a couple of hours and then we noticed it was burning right across the top.

"We were monitoring it but it got to the point where it was dangerous and we thought we should post a picture of it because we thought 'this is serious now'.

"We just thought people should know that if you left it it could be dangerous, especially if it's around other Christmas decorations or cards."

More in this Section

85-year-old man to wed best friend in Tipperary to avoid inheritance tax

Everyone is very confused after ‘youthquake’ was named Oxford Dictionaries’ word of the year

Video: This is what a deep-fried mince pie looks like

There’s a sinister army of partially melted snowmen terrifying people of Britain


 

Join the conversation - comment here

House rules for comments - FAQ

 

Today's Stories

‘Electrical appliances a fire risk when you’re out of house’, says senior fireman

Defilement left vulnerable teenager ‘in a very dark place’

Minister Eoghan Murphy supports Eighth Amendment reforms

Protest over guesthouse use as asylum centre

Lifestyle

Review: N.E.R.D - No One Ever Really Dies: Their finest album to date

Everyone's mad at Google - Sundar Pichai has to fix it

Scenes from the analogue city - Memories of Limerick from the late 80s and early 90s

Ask Audrey: 'I heard that Viagra fumes from Pfizer’s were causing stiffys below in Ringaskiddy'

More From The Irish Examiner