Thailand's coin-swallowing turtle dies of blood-poisoning

A 25-year-old sea turtle in Thailand which swallowed nearly 1,000 coins thrown by tourists seeking good luck has died, two weeks after having surgery to remove the coins from its stomach.

The cause of death was blood poisoning from the loose change, said Dr Achariya Sailasuta, a professor at the veterinary faculty at Bangkok's Chulalongkorn University.

"She at least had the chance to swim freely and eat happily before she passed," said Dr Nantarika Chansue, who removed 5kg of coins from the turtle's stomach in an hours-long operation on March 6.

The turtle - nicknamed Bank - appeared to be doing well after the operation, but a check-up on Saturday revealed problems with its intestines. Doctors performed a second operation, but Bank never woke up and died on Tuesday morning.

Bank lived in a public pond in Chonburi province, about 110 miles (175km) south-east of Bangkok.

The turtle swallowed 915 coins that tourists threw into the pond. Eventually, the money formed a weight that cracked Bank's shell.

'Bank' swims in her pool in Thailand. Picture: AP

- AP

Email Updates

Receive our lunchtime briefing straight to your inbox

More in this Section

German politicians approve ban on full-face veils for public servants

Marine Le Pen's party mired in Holocaust denial allegations, again

Scientists have named two plants after Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny DeVito

Human rights group calls for 'cow protectors' in India to be prosecuted over vigilante attacks


Lifestyle

Rag'n'Bone Man really is only Human, after all

Discover a hidden away rainforest on the Beara peninsula

Ask Audrey: 'Please have a shower, you don’t want people thinking you’re from Clonmel.'

Three ways to create perfect soft curls

More From The Irish Examiner