South Korea offers talks on tensions and family reunions with North

South Korea has offered to talk with North Korea to ease animosities along their tense border and resume reunions of families separated by their war in the 1950s.

It is unclear if North Korea would agree to the proposed talks as it remains suspicious of the South Korean president's overtures, seeing the new leader's more liberal policy as still resorting to the United States to force North Korea to disarm.

Seoul's proposal for two sets of talks indicates President Moon Jae-in is pushing to improve ties with Pyongyang despite the North's first intercontinental ballistic missile this month.

Vice defence minister Suh Choo Suk said the South's defence officials are proposing talks at the border village of Panmunjom on Friday to discuss how to end hostile activities along the border.

Seoul's acting Red Cross chief Kim Sun Hyang said it wants separate talks at the border village on August 1 to discuss family reunions.

North Korea's state media has not immediately responded to South Korea's overtures.

Earlier this month, Mr Moon reiterated he is willing to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un if conditions are met.

Mr Moon also said the two Koreas must halt hostile activities along the border, restart family reunions and cooperate on the 2018 Winter Olympics to be held in Pyeongchang, South Korea.

President Moon Jae-in

Mr Moon has said he would use both dialogues and pressures to resolve the standoff over North Korea's nuclear programme.

But his push has reported little progress with the North test-firing a series of newly developed missiles since Mr Moon's May 10 inauguration.

The North's ICBM (intercontinental ballistic missile) launch has stoked security worries as it showed the country could eventually perfect a reliable nuclear missile capable of reaching anywhere in the United States. Analysts say the ICBM that was tested could reach Alaska.

After the launch, Mr Kim said he would never negotiate his weapons programmes unless the United States abandons its hostile policy toward his country.

Mr Kim's statement suggested he will order more missile and nuclear tests until North Korea develops a functioning ICBM that can place the entire US within its striking distance.


Email Updates

Receive our lunchtime briefing straight to your inbox

Related Articles

South Korea's president hints at sending envoy to North Korea and rules out war

Guam residents alarmed by accidental broadcast of emergency alert

Kim Jong Un briefed on plans for missile tests near Guam

US officials claim confrontation with North Korea not imminent

More in this Section

Charlottesville: Theresa May slams Trump for failure to condemn far right

Charlottesville victim's mother urges mourners to make Heather's death worthwhile

South Africa debates immunity for Zimbabwe first lady

US vice president Pence sidesteps questions over Trump's Charlottesville remarks


Lifestyle

Can experiencing awe really make us better people?

Summer solutions to survive the school holidays on a budget

An Inconvenient Sequel offers solutions rather than problems

Irish fans remember Elvis Presley 40 years after his death

More From The Irish Examiner