Rex Tillerson presses for Chinese cooperation over N Korea

US secretary of state Rex Tillerson has pushed for closer Chinese-US co-operation in dealing with North Korea's nuclear programme, in his first face-to-face talks with senior Chinese diplomats.

Mr Tillerson's visit to Beijing followed his remarks in South Korea on Friday in which he warned that pre-emptive military action against North Korea might be necessary if the threat from its weapons programme reaches a level "that we believe requires action".

China, the North's biggest source of diplomatic support and economic assistance, has not responded directly to his remarks, although Beijing has called repeatedly for all sides to reduce tensions.

Mr Tillerson stressed the need for a "results-oriented" relationship with China after his meeting with foreign minister Wang Yi.

"We renewed our determination to work together to convince North Korea to choose a better path and a different future for its people," Mr Tillerson said.

He said Mr Wang agreed on the need for a "course correction" with Pyongyang. Getting North Korea "to a different place" is a matter to be approached with "a sense of urgency," he added.

Mr Wang restated Beijing's calls for dialogue between the US and North Korea and called Mr Tillerson's visit an important step towards a meeting between Chinese President Xi Jinping and his US counterpart Donald Trump, expected next month.

Mr Tillerson later met Yang Jiechi, Mr Xi's leading foreign policy adviser, and he is scheduled to meet Mr Xi on Sunday morning before returning to the US.

As North Korea's most important source of diplomatic support and economic assistance, China has grown increasingly concerned about the possibility of conflict on the Korean peninsula.

Mr Wang warned last week that North Korea on one side, and the US and South Korea on the other, were like "two accelerating trains" heading towards each other, with neither side willing to give way.

He floated a proposal that North Korea could suspend its nuclear and missile activities in exchange for a halt in joint US-South Korean military drills.

That was swiftly dismissed by the US ambassador to the United Nations, Nikki Haley, who said Washington has to see "some sort of positive action" from North Korea before it can take leader Kim Jong Un seriously.

- AP


Related Articles

President Trump backs Senate candidate Roy Moore despite allegations

US prepares new sanctions against North Korea

Trump pardons thanksgiving turkeys Drumstick and Wishbone

Donald Trump declares North Korea a terror sponsor

More in this Section

Lebanese PM puts resignation on hold following request from the president to reconsider

Zimbabwe set to swear in new president following Mugabe resignation

'Modest' exercise for elderly 'beneficial to heart health', study finds

Plane with 11 aboard crashes into ocean on way to US aircraft carrier


Lifestyle

Toy story: 10 toys guaranteed to bring out the kid in all of us

GameTech: Star Wars Battlefront II: Chance to win Loot Skywalker

Military top brass: Meet the conductor of the army’s Southern Brigade band

Album review: Experience counts on U2’s return to form

More From The Irish Examiner