Murdered soldier Lee Rigby was killed as he returned to his barracks after a day working at the Tower of London, it was revealed today.
Southwark Coroner’s Court heard brief details of the circumstances surrounding Drummer Rigby’s murder last week as the inquest into his death was opened and adjourned.
The court heard that the Manchester-born soldier was killed as he returned to his barracks in Woolwich, south east London, on May 22.
Detective Chief Inspector Grant Mallon, from Scotland Yard’s Counter-Terrorism Command, said he was hit by a car in Artillery Place before being attacked by two men armed with a cleaver and a knife.
They then dragged his lifeless body into the middle of the road, and encouraged passers-by to look at what they had done, he said.
The court heard that 25-year-old Drummer Rigby was identified by a dental expert.
A post-mortem examination has already found that he died from multiple cut and stab wounds.
Adjourning the inquest to a date to be fixed, deputy coroner Lorna Tagliavini said: “I would like to take this opportunity to give my personal condolences to all members of Lee Rigby’s family for their very sad loss.”
Mr Mallon told the court that Drummer Rigby had been working at the Tower of London on the day he died.
He said: “On Wednesday May 22, at approximately 2.20pm, Lee was returning to barracks after a day working at the Tower of London.
“As he walked into Artillery Place, a vehicle is seen to swerve into the carriageway on which he was walking and strike him.
“The two occupants of the vehicle then exit the vehicle and attack him with a cleaver and a knife.”
He said Drummer Rigby suffered “extensive and serious injuries”, and investigations into his murder are continuing.
None of the father of one’s family was in court for the brief hearing.
Additional security guards were on duty at Southwark Coroner’s Court this morning.
The inquest was adjourned to a date to be confirmed.
More in this section