Adam Lanza's body claimed for burial

The body of the man who killed 26 people at a Connecticut primary school has been claimed for burial.

Connecticut Medical Examiner Wayne H Carver II told the Hartford Courant that the remains of Adam Lanza were claimed several days ago by someone who wanted to remain anonymous.

A spokeswoman at Mr Carver’s office told the Associated Press she could not release details about the status of Lanza’s body.

The 20-year-old killed 20 first-graders and six members of staff at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown on December 14.

He also killed his mother, Nancy, at their home before going on the rampage and then committing suicide.

A private funeral for Mrs Lanza was held in New Hampshire earlier this month.

Police have not offered a motive for the killings.


Email Updates

Receive our lunchtime briefing straight to your inbox

More in this Section

5 tips to make your solar eclipse photos look spectacular

Grandad makes impassioned plea for his grandson, 7, missing in Barcelona attack

Heavy police presence as Barcelona starts 'going back very quickly to normality'

Cambrils was scene of meeting between 9/11 attacks leader and al-Qaida plotter


Lifestyle

Digital distraction: Are smartphones dumbing down students?

Against the odds: Life after ectopic pregnancy

Celebrity Masterchef Yvonne Connolly on cooking up a storm with leftovers

Can experiencing awe really make us better people?

More From The Irish Examiner