Chelsea star Didier Drogba may have misled charity donors - watchdog

A charity set up by ex-Chelsea footballer Didier Drogba to help poor communities in the Ivory Coast may have "misled" donors, a watchdog has found.

But the Charities Commission said on Friday it had found "no evidence of fraud or corruption" by the Didier Drogba Foundation during a seven-month investigation.

The investigation began in April after the Daily Mail claimed less than 1% of the £1.7 million raised by the foundation in the UK had gone to worthy causes in the west African nation.

The watchdog discussed "serious concerns" with Drogba, 38, after analysing the charity's financial records, which "did not support the level of charitable activity claimed to have been undertaken by the charity".

The trustees said a separate organisation, La Fondation Didier Drogba, based in the striker's home nation of the Ivory Coast, carried out "a number of" advertised activities.

They said that the English charity, set up in 2009, spent no funds on charitable activity and was instead accumulating the money in order to spend it on a hospital project, which had been delayed because of the political situation in the Ivory Coast.

The watchdog criticised the charity for not making this clear to donors and said the lack of distinction between the entities "may also have misled" donors "about the activities of the charity they were supporting".

The report also criticised the foundation for "misleading" potential donors by recording three balls held in London as "charitable activities" rather than "fund-raising costs".

The report concluded: "We have been able to satisfy our most serious concerns in relation to the charity by confirming that funds have not been misapplied and that all funds raised in the English charity's name have been held by the English charity. We are also able to confirm that we found no evidence of fraud or corruption on behalf of the charity.

"We have issued the charity with an action plan to ensure that the outstanding concerns, particularly with regard to transparency to donors and the public, are addressed by the charity's trustees."

Drogba celebrated the commission's findings and said he would be seeking damages and an apology.

He said: "The Charities Commission has today confirmed, after a seven-month investigation, that no funds have been misapplied by my foundation.

"They have confirmed that there has been no financial wrongdoing, no fraud and no corruption."

Princess Beatrice, David Beckham, Bono, Frank Lampard and Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich are among those to have backed the charity.

Email Updates

Receive our lunchtime briefing straight to your inbox

More in this Section

The hashtag for Watford's game against Everton is perfect in so many ways

Everton suffer defeat at Watford - The story of the match

Brian O'Driscoll questions Dylan Hartley's suitability for captaincy

Slaven Bilic: West Ham would be interested in signing Daniel Sturridge


Today's Stories

Munster's Boris shows he’s not too dainty for front row rough and tumble

Rassie Erasmus: ‘It wasn’t tough to be united when Irish people are standing together’

Jose Mourinho has never really known failure before, says Jamie Carragher

Leinster punish sinning Saints

Lifestyle

Pantomime review: Cinderella, Cork Opera House

Fair City: Behind the scenes at Carrigstown

Ask Audrey has been sorting out Cork people for years

Well-known Irish people share their favourite books from their childhoods

More From The Irish Examiner