Two in court after bombs seized in Derry




Two men are due in court later today charged in connection with the seizure of four mortar bombs in Derry.

The pair, aged 35 and 37, are accused of possessing explosives with intent to endanger life, possessing articles for terrorist purposes and conspiring to cause an explosion.

They are due to appear before a district judge.

Two other men who were also questioned about the bomb find in the city on Sunday night, when police intercepted a van on the Letterkenny Road, were released from custody last night.

Four primed mortars were discovered in the back of the vehicle. Police said they were ready to be fired through the roof, which had been cut open, and claimed a planned attack by dissident republicans had been thwarted.


More in this Section

Man, 48, charged in relation to Blanchardstown shooting; will appear in court later this afternoon

Man who developed fibromyalgia after car was struck head on awarded €2m in High Court

Mulhuddart man sentenced to eight years in prison apologises to family of stab victim

Neighbour fined for car-park assault during row over apartment noise


Today's Stories

Government ‘using Trump tactics to downplay the homeless crisis’

It wasn’t me, I was in UK, says man arrested in hotel

Home prices to keep rising for up to 7 years as supply drives market

No sale: Michael Flatley’s Castlehyde mansion off open market

Lifestyle

Meghan Markle’s sparkle sets the stage for must-have fashion items

Not buying Irish at Christmas costs us dearly

GameTech: B-listers offer plenty of gameplay

Judi Dench branching out into her other passion

More From The Irish Examiner