Trapped residents rescued after motorbike set on fire in block of flats

Seven people have been rescued from a flat complex after a motorbike was set on fire in a hallway.

Residents of the two-storey block in the Ardoyne Road in Belfast were trapped in their homes due to smoke, Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) said.

The fire was reported at about 5.20am this morning.

The residents had to be taken out by firefighters using ladders and breathing apparatus, while other crews fought the blaze.


A number of people were treated for smoke inhalation and the communal hall and doors of flats were damaged in the fire.

A NIFRS spokesman said: "The occupants were alerted early, by smoke alarms actuating in the hallway.

"NIFRS control staff reassured callers and provided lifesaving advice to those trapped until fire crews arrived on scene."

File image.

PA


More in this Section

Luxurious W.B. Yeats ferry launched in Germany

Search still on for Ireland's latest Lotto multi-millionaire

'It doesn't make any sense': Paragraph of letter drafted by garda legal team 'farcical', says Tribunal chair

Ex school chaplain and school ordered to pay €750,000 legal costs bill in abuse case


Today's Stories

Leo Varadkar under pressure to reveal view as Micheál Martin backs repeal of law on abortion

Roma living in rat-infested conditions and going to bed hungry

240 homeowners in Co Clare told pay €2.25m for defects

Cork City Council 'treating us like dogs' say homeless Travellers

Lifestyle

The biggest cancer killer will take your breath away

Hopefully she had an idea...

Power of the press: Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks discuss 'The Post'

More From The Irish Examiner