Six people die from carbon monoxide poisoning every year in Ireland

People are being urged to install a carbon monoxide alarm in their home - with six people dying each year as a result of unintentional poisoning.

The colourless, odourless gas is produced anywhere fossil fuels are burned and 40% of Irish homes do not have a carbon monoxide detector installed.

The National Standards Authority of Ireland is urging people who already own a detector to check their device to ensure it's still working.

Owen Wilson is Networks Safety Manager for Gas Networks Ireland wants to encourage people to be aware of the dangers.

"Carbon monoxide kills an average of six people a year in Ireland so it is something worth being aware of," Mr Wilson said.

Photo: CarbonMonoxide.ie


More in this Section

Increased jail terms sought for two men jailed after 'fatal burglary'

Varadkar: ’Time has come to allow Irish people have their say’ on abortion

Labour TD Alan Kelly asks whether his phone has been bugged by gardaí

Attempted murder charge dropped after alleged victim dies of natural causes


Today's Stories

Fears at ‘painfully slow’ pace of falling mortgage arrears

ICTU: Private unions should seek 3.1% pay hike

Charity gets €300,000 in water fee refunds

Leo Varadkar and Micheál Martin coy on abortion recommendation

Lifestyle

Scenes from the analogue city - Memories of Limerick from the late 80s and early 90s

Ask Audrey: 'I heard that Viagra fumes from Pfizer’s were causing stiffys below in Ringaskiddy'

The 12 drinks of Christmas - Top tipples for the festive season

Sex advice with Suzi Godson: My boyfriend is too noisy during sex

More From The Irish Examiner