Post mortem due on Cork student today

A post mortem examination will be carried on the body of an 18-year-old UCC student today.

He had been missing for nearly four days before his body was found.

A massive search operation was mounted for Caolan Mulrooney, who disappeared in the early hours of Friday morning after he left Cubin's nightclub.

Gardaí trawled through hours of CCTV footage and his last known sighting pinpointed him on Fort Street just off Barrack Street.

Yesterday morning his body was discovered in a yard at Blue Anchor Lane, at the Capwell Road end of Douglas Street, shortly before 11am.

This morning Dr Margaret Bolster is due to conduct a post mortem.

Superintendant Barry McPolin, who is leading the investigation, told Cork's RedFM that it is to early to speculate what happened to Caolan.

"It is too early," he said. "I think we have to await the outcome of the post mortem and put all of the pieces together and then come to conclusions.

"It’s a terrible tragedy for Caolan's family and his friends."


More in this Section

Three die in separate incidents; Schools closed again tomorrow as over 350,000 without power

Pensioner ignores warnings to take the plunge as Ophelia sweeps in

Charlie Haughey to get his own Netflix 'thriller'

Court to hear tomorrow if any further appeal to Apple’s Galway data centre plans


Today's Stories

Three people killed as Ireland feels the full force of Storm Ophelia

Government urged to seek emergency cash from EU crisis fund

Schools closed again as building inspections set to begin in earnest

Three people killed in separate incidents across country

Lifestyle

Remembering the dead: Poignant reason behind Cork’s Zombie Walk

Eight events around Ireland to check out for some frightful fun this Halloween

Massacre at mass on Scariff Island

Ask Audrey: 'It’s like I’m in a horror movie called Revenge of the Norries'

More From The Irish Examiner