Mother-of three from Northern Ireland found dead in Sydney car park

Comrie Cullen. Picture: Pacemaker Press

A man has been taken into police custody after his estranged wife from Northern Ireland was found dead in a car park in Sydney.

Mother-of-three Comrie Cullen, 39, was discovered with severe trauma wounds to her upper body at an isolated angler’s club yesterday and the man is under guard in hospital, New South Wales police said.

Ms Cullen's three children, who are five, seven and 11 years old, are understood to be in the care of friends.

Superintendent Gregory Antonjuk said the suspect, 50, was found leaving a swampy mangrove area nearby with significant injuries to his arms and upper torso.

“We have the understanding that they were married for a period of 15-16 years and as of late last year, around October, the couple became estranged and there was some domestic incidents related to that reported to police,” he told the Sydney Morning Herald.

“As a consequence of those reports an apprehended violence order was issued by the courts.”

No further reports had been made to police since November.

Mr Antonjuk told local media that a crime scene was established following the discovery of the woman’s body.

“A male was located exiting the mangrove swamp area near the vicinity of the crime scene,” he said.

“That person exhibited significant injuries to his arms and upper torso. He was immediately taken into custody and conveyed to a local hospital where he currently remains under police guard pending further treatment and surgery.”

A PSNI spokeswoman said they were liaising with the family following the reports in Australia.

The victim is reportedly a mother-of-three who was born in the North, but had lived in Australia for some time.

Ms Cullen was due in court to fight a legal battle against her estranged husband yesterday, on the day of the attack.

Related Articles

More in this Section

Gardaí seek public assistance finding two missing teens in Cork

Prosecutor in Joan Burton false imprisonment trial says there is a sufficent case

Fianna Fáil and Gov at loggerheads over Education funding

Sean Fitzpatrick trial to open on October 10


Today's Stories

€5.5m to tackle knotweed on roads; Multi-phase project ‘will take years’ to eradicate invasive plant

GP service relaunches with new name despite owing money to staff and patients

Three rescued from sinking fishing trawler in Cork

More Irish than the Irish themselves: Pubs up for top award

Lifestyle

Angelina Jolie hiring the best divorce lawyer in the business - Laura Alison Wasser

Get your house in order before going for a mortgage

Former IRA volunteer's play explores the life and execution of Kevin Barry

Open House Cork is back to give the public a sneak peak of more private homes

More From The Irish Examiner