Irish surfer talks about ride on record-breaking wave

A record-breaking big wave surfer has taken on what is believed to be one of the biggest waves ever surfed.

Al Mennie from Portrush was part of a three-man team that surfed Atlantic swells as they built from 60-90ft at Nazare off the coast of Portugal on Tuesday.

The men surfed for three hours off the headland at Praia do Norte as part of a study with the Portuguese Hydrographic Institute.

Mr Mennie compared the challenge to the efforts of some of the greatest ever Olympians.

"It's a bit like rowing in that Steve Redgrave can't win the race without the other three guys to row the boat with him, we work as a very tightly knit team to ensure safety while we attempt to ride the biggest waves the ocean can throw at us," he said.

"We rotated a three-man system using two jet skis for safety cover. Each of us surfed and then switched roles to driver and safety cover."

He was joined by surfers Garrett McNamara, from Hawaii, and Andrew Cotton, from Devon.

The biggest wave was ridden by Mr McNamara, by chance - the team were rotating and he happened to be in line to surf when the largest of the waves was approaching, about 90ft.

"We use high-powered jet skis to hurl each other into these giant waves as they approach shore and then watch each other's backs while we ride the mountain of water," Mr Mennie said.

"The bond and camaraderie between us is like nothing else. We are literally trusting each other with our lives, our lives are in each other's hands."

Mr Mennie has previously surfed giant waves off the coast of Ireland including at Mullaghmore, Co Sligo and a wave known as Aileen off the Cliffs of Moher in Co Clare.

More in this Section

'Nonsense' to report my full earnings, says ICMSA president John Comer

Murder accused 'saw red' when pregnant ex-girlfriend said baby wasn't his

PIC: Woman bought this apple juice from Lidl: Check out what she says she found inside

150 kms per hour winds close Cliffs of Moher

You might also like

Today's Stories

Former priest loses second defrocking appeal

Simon Coveney says €1bn infrastructure investment plan for Cork and Kerry is ‘not an election stunt’

VIDEO: Cork Penny Dinners launches revamp from Francis Brennan

Boy, 13, admits to abusing young girls


BIG READ: Sexism and fear keeping women away from Hollywood's top jobs

Eat your way to an illness free winter

Butt out when Dad’s in charge and let him do it his way

5 tips for a seamless desk-to-dance floor transformation this festive season

More From The Irish Examiner