Father of one under financial stress took own life day before mortgage payment due

A 35-year-old man took his own life the day before his mortgage payment was due, an inquest heard, writes Louise Roseingrave.

The father of one discussed financial difficulties with his mother and a nurse before taking his own life last year.

The man had an amicable relationship with his ex-partner in relation to their child, the court heard.

His ex-partner found him dead at a house they purchased together in 2007 from which she had since moved out. She said he did not have money problems but said he had been recently been put on 'short time' at work.

The man, who had been suffering from depression, was taking prescribed anti-depression and anti-psychotic medication and this was administered by injection the day before his death.

On the day of his death the man contacted his ex-partner and told her he would not be around to look after their child. She was concerned and phoned his mother and the nurse in charge of his care at his local mental health clinic. When contacted by the nurse, the man said he had just attempted to take his own life but failed. The nurse asked him to come to the clinic and he arrived by bicycle twenty minutes later.

"He did express stress around his financial situation but didn't express any suicidal ideation at that time," the nurse said.

They discussed the matter and he told her his mortgage payment was due the following day, the nurse told the court.

"He'd gone to the ATM that morning, the money had been withdrawn for the mortgage repayment and he was annoyed by this," she said.

The nurse said she discussed options with him, including the Money Advice and Budgeting Service (MABS) and St Vincent de Paul.

"He felt frustrated about the fact his bank account had been emptied. He felt fed up with his financial situation," the nurse said.

A care plan was put in place involving the man's mother. He was due to stay overnight with his mother and attend a doctor's appointment the following morning.

The man's mother said he told her he was feeling depressed.

"He told me he didn't feel good. I knew he didn't have much money and was struggling with mortgage payments as work was not plentiful," she said.

The man came to his mother's house but left after a while telling her would return later that evening. He was later found dead at his home.

The coroner returned a verdict of death by suicide.

If you feel like you need somebody to talk to, please contact one of the following:

The Samaritans

Freephone: 116 123


The Samaritans support line is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you need a response immediately, it's best to call them on the phone. This number is FREE to call. You don't have to be suicidal to call them.


Freephone: 1800 80 48 48.


The Aware Support Line is available seven days a week from 10am-10pm

Pieta House

Phone: (01) 6282111

More in this Section

23-year-old woman charged in connection with Blanchardstown shooting

Here are tonight’s lotto results…

Government plans to extend GP visit cards for carers criticised by both sides

Look out in armed raid later stopped for drink driving and caught ’green-blue handed’

Today's Stories

Quarter of early years staff short on references

Man accused of stealing paninis opts for jury trial

€10m works to rectify dangerous bends on Kerry road

RSA honours man left paralysed after traffic collision 11 years ago for road safety work


Timing is everything as The Frank and Walters revisit 'Grand Parade'

A question of taste: Eileen O'Shea

Eoghan O'Sullivan's picks his highlights of 2017

Learning Points: The ghost of Christmas past is always nostalgia

More From The Irish Examiner