Extra charges for man accused of rape of Spanish student in Dublin

Two additional rape charges have been brought against a 24-year-old man accused of a sex attack and false imprisonment of a Spanish student in Dublin.

The young woman, aged 18, who had just come to Ireland in recent months to live with a host family had been in Dublin on July 15 when she was allegedly brought to waste-ground in the city’s south-side and raped.

The accused, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was originally charged with rape, false imprisonment and threat to kill or cause serious harm to the woman at the Irish Glass Bottle site, in Ringsend in south Dublin.

The man, who was described by his lawyer as having a significant history of mental problems, made no bail application at his first hearing on July 21 last.

He faced his fifth hearing today when he appeared again before Judge Victor Blake at Cloverhill District Court. Three fresh charges were brought against the man in connection with the incident: two additional counts of raping the woman and one charge for sexually assaulting her between July 15 and July 16 last.

Garda Bryan Hunt told the judge that he charged the accused at 10.10am at the courthouse. Garda Hunt said he 'was cautioned after each charge and made no reply to any of the charges'.

He also told the court that the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has directed that he face trial on indictment on all matters.

Garda Hunt said that there are now six offences before the court and “they all related to the same incident.” A book of evidence will be prepared and and a full file has been submitted to the DPP, he also told the court.

Defence counsel Jane Horgan-Jones told Judge Blake that there was no application for bail.

The defendant sat silently throughout the hearing and has not yet indicated how he would plead.

Judge Blake remanded him in custody to appear again next week for mention and for a book of evidence to be prepared.

At his first hearing in July, the court directed a psychiatric assessment and for psychiatric report to be obtained following a request by his solicitor.

The basis for the application was concerns raised by the defence for his mental well-being. His solicitor had said the man “does have a significant history” and he had medical reports on him.

The defence solicitor had said given the seriousness of the charge and the fact his client is in receipt of a social welfare payment he was making an application for legal aid, which was also granted.

The accused had been originally arrested on July 17, two days after the alleged rape but he was released without charge the following day. However, he was re-arrested for the purpose of being charged on July 21 last and has been in custody on remand since then.


Related Articles

Man in his 30s to appear in court tomorrow over Offaly €1m drug seizure

Dispute over alleged unlawful occupation of pub may delay Apollo House redevelopment, court hears

Homeless woman entitled to costs after legal aid system reached its monthly quota, court rules

Man who Gardaí 'considered a risk to national infrastructure' secures temporary halt on job dismissal

More in this Section

Judge slams involvement of Cork radio station with man who believed himself victim of vendetta

225 people caught speeding; including one doing 177km/h in 100km zone

Man arrested in connection with €1m Offaly drugs seizure due in court

'Not too late' to resolve Irish Rail strike: FF


Today's Stories

No Government jet for freed Halawa

Garda officers may sue for right to strike

Rail unions vote for industrial action

‘We are on our knees after this ... we need help’

Lifestyle

Live music review: The Horrors - Icy genius in a thrillingly intimate setting

They don't make games like these anymore

Why a good breakfast is a must for your kids

Facing fears while terrifying punters at Cork's Nightmare Realm

More From The Irish Examiner