JJ Abrams to replace Colin Trevorrow as director of Star Wars: Episode IX

The Force Awakens filmmaker JJ Abrams will return to a galaxy far, far away to replace Colin Trevorrow as the director of Star Wars: Episode IX.

Trevorrow, who made Jurassic World, parted company with the film last week.

Abrams will co-write the film with Chris Terrio, as well as serving as director.

Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm, said: “With The Force Awakens, JJ delivered everything we could have possibly hoped for, and I am so excited that he is coming back to close out this trilogy.”

Abrams delivered a huge box office success with Episode VII The Force Awakens in 2015.

Episode VIII The Last Jedi, which will be released in cinemas on December 14, was directed by Rian Johnson.

Trevorrow’s departure from the franchise came just months after Phil Lord and Christopher Miller were replaced as directors of the Han Solo spin-off movie by veteran filmmaker Ron Howard.

That film, which is still untitled, is due for release in May 2018.


More in this Section

More Gilmore Girls episodes ‘a possibility’ says show’s creator

Here are the films that won big at this year’s Cork Film Festival

Short film makes ‘Wave’ as it gets longlisted for Oscar

Stars back K-pop sensation BTS as band makes US TV debut at AMAs


Lifestyle

Making Cents: Black Friday is an opportunity - but be careful

Dishing out the chores

Quietly successful: Meet the man behind ECM Records

More From The Irish Examiner