- Breaking News
- Today's Paper
- Text Only
- Family Notices
Tuesday, July 10, 2012
Senior gardaí are to meet with concert promoters MCD after violence marred a weekend concert in Phoenix Park, leaving one person dead and nine treated for stab wounds.
Justice Minister Alan Shatter has asked the Garda Commissioner to review events surrounding the concert amid reports of antisocial behaviour, casual violence, and sex acts being performed in the open. He confirmed the commissioner would meet with the promoters and forward a report to his department.
Mr Shatter also said new regulations regarding the licensing of security at large events would be introduced soon.
"I have been working for some time on regulations which will allow the Private Security Authority to license contractors and personnel working in the event security area. I expect to finalise those regulations shortly and the Private Security Authority propose to license all contractors working in the event security area by autumn 2012.
"Licensing of all individuals working in the sector will then follow."
Raymond Donnan, aged 22, of Greenfort Crescent, Clondalkin, Dublin, was refused bail yesterday after he was accused of repeatedly stabbing a tourist at the concert.
In all, more than 30 arrests were made around Saturday’s concert.
Nine people were stabbed and up to 36 people hospitalised before, during, and after the concert headlined by Swedish House Mafia. One man from west Dublin died in hospital of a suspected drugs overdose while another man from Co Laois also died in hospital in a case in which drugs may have been involved.
Numerous people required medical treatment due to drug and alcohol abuse, while on Sunday night footage and photos emerged online showing brawling and lewd acts.
It has led to sharp criticism of organisers MCD, which put together the three-strong concert series, which opened on Thursday with Stone Roses and ended on Sunday with a concert headlined by Snow Patrol.
Yesterday’s Liveline heard reports from people working in the park and going to the zoo, of violent scenes where abusive concert goers were urinating in public and engaging in antisocial behaviour.
Corkwoman Laura Cronin told the News At One that within the arena an intoxicated man climbed on to scaffolding and gardaí struggled to get him to come down.
Meanwhile, a Cork family was relieved when their daughter, who had gone missing in the wake of the concert, was found.
There was a flurry of appeals on radio and online for Aoife Finan, 19, from Cobh, who had been due to travel from Dublin by coach late on Saturday as a part of a group.
Having lost her phone, she had rung her family from another mobile saying she could not find the bus.
However, the line went dead and attempts to reach her were unsuccessful. She failed to get on one of the coaches and when she had not been heard from by Sunday her parents reported her as missing to gardaí in Cobh.
Yesterday, however, her delighted mother Sinéad received a call from Aoife to say she was on a bus back to Cork.
She arrived in Cork on a Bus Éireann bus shortly after 8pm, where she was greeted by her mother and members of the gardaí, who said she was fine.
© Irish Examiner Ltd, City Quarter, Lapps Quay, Cork. Registered in Ireland: 523712.